Ragù di verdure con pappardelle (Vegetable ragu w/ pappardelle)
The word pappardelle is taken from the Tuscan word pappare, meaning to eat with childlike pleasure. We couldn’t think of a better way to enjoy pasta. Pappardelle is usually best paired with thick and hearty wild meat sauces. However in this case, we’ve chosen a vegetarian ragu that delivers incredible flavour and takes half the time. Feel free to eat like a child, but drink like an adult ~ this bowl will pair perfectly with any of your leftover Chianti, or alternatively a Sangiovese will go down very nicely. Cooking time: Approx 1 hr. Serves 4.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 full tbsp each of rosemary, thyme and sage
- 4 cloves of fresh fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 ½ cups of stock – vegetable or chicken
- 125ml or ½ cup of red wine – Chianti or Sangiovese
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 500g pappardelle, fresh or dried
- Press play on your Tuscany Radio. Heat stock in a small saucepan over low heat and add the dried porcini mushrooms. Simmer to rehydrate. Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the butter to a large deep pan on a medium-low heat. Once hot add the chopped carrot, celery, onion, zucchini, capsicum and herbs, and saute for 10-15 minutes until softened but not browned. When the stock timer goes off, take off heat.
- Add the garlic to the vegetables and continue to toss through until the garlic is aromatic. Add the cherry tomatoes and wine and simmer for a couple of minutes, until reduced slightly.
- Scoop the mushrooms out of the stock and chop finely, then add them to the mixture along with the tomato paste until stirred through. Add the stock.
- Simmer uncovered for 35 minutes, then uncovered for another 10 as you cook the pappardelle until al dente.
- Combine the pasta with vegetable ragu and serve immediately with shaved parmesan.
If you haven’t already, immerse yourself in a well-rounded Tuscan lifestyle with our Tuscany retreat.